Here's all the pages!

Friday, April 12, 2024

Hits 1 will never make the slightest bit of sense - Hits 1 Weekend Countdown 4/6/2024

Hi! Sorry my last few countdown posts have been so late. So, before we talk about how bizarre the current state of Hits 1 is, I have a quick announcement. Since Zestpond just released his best and worst songs of the year list a few weeks ago, it's not too late to post mine, so that will be posted sometime later this week, along with my review of Ariana Grande's new album Eternal Sunshine. So keep an eye out for those three posts coming up. Now onto the countdown itself... this was yet another really bizarre week. We got the countdown leaked one day early, some questionable countdown action, a "chonkey" set of debuts in Hitbound... I still don't know anything, so let's just get into it!


Exits:

Jack Harlow - Lovin on Me (21 weeks: Peak #10)

Tate McRae - Greedy (26 weeks: Peak #1 for 11 wk)

Ajr - Yes I'm a Mess (23 weeks: Peak #7)


Countdown:

#30: Benson Boone - Slow It Down (Debut) (1 week: Peak #30)

#29: Olivia Rodrigo - So American (Debut) (1 week: Peak #29)

#28: Hozier - Too Sweet (Debut) (1 week: Peak #28)

#27: Meghan Trainor & T-Pain - Been Like This (+2) (3 weeks: Peak #27)

#26: Twenty One Pilots - Overcompensate (+2) (4 weeks: Peak #26)

#25: Usher - Kissing Strangers (+2) (5 weeks: Peak #25)

#24: Luke Hemmings - Shakes (+1) (3 weeks: Peak #24)

#23: Madison Beer - Make You Mine (-1) (5 weeks: Peak #22)

#22: Dasha - Austin (+1) (2 weeks: Peak #22)

#21: Olivia Rodrigo - Obsessed (+5) (2 weeks: Peak #21)

#20: Djo - End of Beginning (+1) (4 weeks: Peak #20)

#19: Teddy Swims - Lose Control (-2) (30 weeks: Peak #2)

#18: Girl in Red - Too Much (+1) (5 weeks: Peak #18)

#17: Sza - Saturn (+3) (5 weeks: Peak #17)

#16: Knox - Me Myself & Your Eyes (-1) (6 weeks: Peak #15)

Countdown Extra: Jvke - Clouds

#15: Selena Gomez - Love On (+1) (6 weeks: Peak #15)

#14: Shinedown - A Symptom of Being Human (+16) (2 weeks: Peak #14)

#13: Beyonce - Texas Hold Em (-3) (5 weeks: Peak #10)

#12: Taylor Swift - Is It Over Now (-4) (23 weeks: Peak #3)

#11: Ariana Grande - We Can't Be Friends (+3) (4 weeks: Peak #11)

#10: Henry Moodie - Pick Up the Phone (-1) (13 weeks: Peak #9)

#9: Renee Rapp & Meghan Thee Stallion - Not My Fault (+3) (15 weeks: Peak #6)

#8: Justin Timberlake - Selfish (+5) (10 weeks: Peak #8)

#7: Dua Lipa - Training Season (-1) (7 weeks: Peak #6)

#6: Noah Kahan - Stick Season (+1) (17 weeks: Peak #6)

#5: Tate McRae - Exes (-1) (20 weeks: Peak #3)

#4: Benson Boone - Beautiful Things (+1) (10 weeks: Peak #3)

#3: Dua Lipa - Houdini (-1) (21 weeks: Peak #1 for 8 wk)

#2: Knox - Not the 1975 (+1) (20 weeks: Peak #2)

#1: Sabrina Carpenter - Feather (=) (18 weeks: Peak #1 for 2 wk)


Debuts:

Benson Boone earns himself a second countdown song with Slow It Down. This grew on me a lot. In fact, I actually decided I like this one better than Beautiful Things, even though, as many other Hits 1 bloggers noticed, those two songs use a similar formula.

Olivia Rodrigo also has her second countdown appearance this week with So American. This is alright but far from my favorite Olivia song. I like the pop-punk production here but this is one of her more generic songs and it's kind of forgettable. I don't really care how this one does.

Hozier debuts with Too Sweet. My opinion still stands from last week. I love the production here, the lyrics are well-written, and whoever's singing here sounds good. Not much to say here, overall just a great song.


Biggest Jump: Shinedown - A Symptom of Being Human (+16)

Biggest Drop: Taylor Swift - Is It Over Now (-4)

My recommendations for Hits 1: Laufey - Goddess, Beyonce - Jolene, Iron & Wine and Fiona Apple - All in Good Time, and Amelia Moore - Name Everywhere


Hitbound:

The Beaches - Blame Brett (8 weeks)

Doja Cat & Teezo Touchdown - MASC (Debut)

Teddy Swims - The Door (11 weeks)

Benson Boone - Cry (Debut)

Glass Animals - Creatures in Heaven (Debut)

Ava Max - My Oh My (Debut)

Imagine Dragons - Eyes Closed (Debut)

Paul Russell - Eat Pray Love (Debut)

Haiden Henderson - Hell of a Good Time (4 weeks)

David Guetta & OneRepublic - I Don't Wanna Wait (Debut)

Tori Kelly - Thing U Do (Debut)

Porter Robinson - Cheerleader (3 weeks)

Girl in Red & Sabrina Carpenter - You Need Me Now (Debut)

Michael Marcagi - Scared to Start (Debut)

Jagwar Twin - Bad Feeling (Oompa Loompa) (15 weeks)

Nicky Youre - Part Time Lover (4 weeks)


10 debuts, let's go! Doja Cat is collaborating with Teezo Touchdown on MASC. This is just alright. The production is decent and everyone sounds good but it's very forgettable. Not much else to say.

Benson Boone has a new song on Hitbound called Cry. And... wow. All of his songs I've heard have been great, and this is no exception. This song is so weird but it's absolutely fantastic. Just like a lot of his others songs this evolves a lot and his high-pitched screaming somehow works. I'm really excited to listen to Fireworks & Rollerblades because it seems like it'll be amazing.

Glass Animals returns after that super annoying overplayed song Heat Waves in 2021. Creatures in Heaven is a step up from Heat Waves. The lyrics are pretty good, I like the production and everyone sounds alright but this is just really forgettable. Also, the melodies here are somewhat similar to Heat Waves.

Ava Max is also back with My Oh My. Apparently this samples an Arabic melody that was also used in Take It Off by Kesha. This is ok but not nearly as good as some of her best songs like Million Dollar Baby or Naked. It's mostly brought down by the key change. Unlike Hippo, I actually like key changes, but only when it feels necessary to the development of the song, like in Escapism by Raye & 070 Shake (the part that Hits 1 edited out for some reason).

Now for a song that'll probably debut the countdown tomorrow, Imagine Dragons with Eyes Closed. This song becomes my first light orange Hitbound song. This is just another really bizarre Imagine Dragons song. I don't know, it's just kind of overproduced and weird, but it might grow on me.

Paul Russell is back with Eat Pray Love, after the super annoying Lil Boo Thang last year and the insanely forgettable Say Cheese earlier this year. This is definitely his best song yet though. Not much to say here except it's a fun and catchy song.

When I heard that David Guetta & OneRepublic had a new song, I immediately thought, "Wow, this is definitely gonna be another one of those songs that I think is super annoying while everyone else absolutely loves it for some reason." But no, this is actually great! The production is upbeat but it certainly has some evolution, the chorus is really good, everyone sounds fantastic... I don't exactly know why I love it enough to make it a light purple song this week but I do.

Ok why are all my favorite artists putting out garbage songs this year? First it's Ariana with Yes, And, then it's Camila with I Luv It. Now Tori Kelly is back with Thing U Do, and... the thing this song is doing to me is not a good thing. It's really repetitive and weird, the production is kind of messy, and the lyrics are absolutely... not lyrics. I guess the "do-do-do" part is... fine, but it just makes it sound like a less catchy version of Tom's Diner (which is a song I really love by the way). Next.

Alright, next we have two songs that have been out for a few weeks already. First up is my current favorite song in Hitbound, which has actually been in my personal chart for the past couple of weeks. Girl in Red & Sabrina Carpenter team up on You Need Me Now. This is another one of those songs that I really love a lot without knowing exactly why. Well, it's got great production, the lyrics are an improvement over Too Much, and both of them sound amazing together... not as good as Serotonin but still a great song from Girl in Red.

Finally, we have Michael Marcagi with Scared to Start, a song that's been charting everywhere right now but Hits 1 is just now picking it up. This is also really great. The production evolves a decent amount, the lyrics are interesting, Michael sounds good... why do I feel like I'm saying the same things for every song right now? Whatever, moving on.

Also, it's sorta unbelievable that Bad Feeling (Oompa Loompa) has now been in Hitbound for longer than Vampire ever lasted on the countdown, and as far as I know it still hasn't gotten much (if any) airplay outside of Hitbound. I don't think we've ever had a song last this long since two years ago when Bibi's The Weekend was in Hitbound for 17 weeks.


Dropouts:

Fall Out Boy - So Much (for) Stardust (10 weeks)

Camila Cabello & Playboi Carti - I Luv It (1 week)

Beyonce & Miley Cyrus - II Most Wanted (1 week)

Jvke - Clouds (1 week)

Wallows - Calling After Me (2 weeks)

Liam Payne - Teardrops (5 weeks)

Alec Benjamin - King Sized Bed (2 weeks)

Kenya Grace - It's Not Fair (3 weeks)

Alex Warren - Before You Leave Me (6 weeks)

The first four appear to be in the abyss. So Much (for) Stardust was amazing and should have debuted, luckily it enters the abyss this week. I Luv It was a garbage return for the normally fantastic Camila Cabello, hopefully she pulls an Ariana and her second single is one of her best songs ever. II Most Wanted grew on me a lot, and honestly after finally listening to Cowboy Carter, I can safely say it's one of the best songs on the album. Teardrops was pretty good. It's Not Fair grew on me a lot. And all the others were alright but super forgettable and won't be missed.


Abyss:

Fall Out Boy - So Much (for) Stardust

Camila Cabello & Playboi Carti - I Luv It

Beyonce & Miley Cyrus - II Most Wanted

Jvke - Clouds

Muni Long - Made for Me

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Murder on the Dance Floor

Ariana Grande & Lady Gaga - Rain on Me

Hayes Warner, Billy B & Kevin Rudolf - Just a Girl

The Weeknd, Jennie & Lily Rose Depp - One of the Girls

Victoria Monet - On My Mama

Jennifer Lopez & Latto - Can't Get Enough

Umi & V - Wherever U R

Jessie Murph & Jelly Roll - Wild Ones


Let me blurb it down:

We lost Lovin On Me, Yes I'm a Mess and Greedy. Good riddance to all of these, they lasted way too long for what they were, especially Yes I'm an Annoyance.

Well, it's official. Lose Control is now the third song ever to last 30 weeks on the top 30 countdown. This song is getting so annoying that it becomes my first light orange song on the countdown.

Great to see that Saturn continues to rise, albeit slowly.

A Symptom of Being Human randomly jumped 16 spots this week. That was very unexpected and I actually thought it was a fake countdown at first when it was leaked on Zestpond's blog. But luckily, this is very real. Hopefully this enters the top 10 next week.

Why did Texas Hold Em of all songs have to have the second-biggest drop of the week? Texas Hold Em is growing on me a whole lot and is now in the light purple tier.

C'mon Hits 1, if you're gonna remove a fantastic song from the top 10, at least replace it with an even better song like WCBF. The last thing we need in the top 10 right now is Selftrash.

Nice to see Stick Season continuing to near the top 5. It would be interesting to see this get #1 at some point.

That's all for now! Byeeeeeeeeee!

2 comments:

  1. Idk if you saw but i made a new event! Can you please submit somewhat soon (I'm starting to worry that another one of my events are gonna flop)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm kinda new to this sort of thing. How am I supposed to fill it out again?

      Delete

And today's featured post is... this one!

Countdown Predictions 5/4/24

Now that I have more time for blog posts this might be a temporary weekly thing for now. These predictions are mostly based on changes in ai...

Who knew these posts got viewed so much?