Here's all the pages!

Saturday, June 15, 2024

This feels like 2023 again - Hits 1 Weekend Countdown 6/15/24

Hi! Wow this is the first time I've gotten a post out on time since... I think since a year ago when I had an actually decent blog. So, this is awkward... I still haven't decided whether or not I feel like continuing my blog and for how long, but... yeah I don't really know. Anyway, for now I'm reviewing this countdown. My song reviews are much more basic and short this time around just because I am no longer as interested in making in-depth reviews of popular music. But even if this is my last countdown review, I hope it's... kinda ok? Like, I'm ready for 1,000+ comments saying "what happened to your interesting perspective on music????" and I'm okay with that... uhm I'm just overdramatic. 

So... as for the actual countdown, it was... weird. There were A LOT of movements by one and two, and there were two completely random re-entries. And... yeah I wasn't kidding when I said there are very few great songs on the countdown. I was hoping The End or Please Please Please or at least one of last week's great debuts in Hitbound to make the countdown. But anyway, let's get into it.


Exits:

Ariana Grande - We Can't Be Friends

Sza - Saturn


Countdown:

#30: Tommy Richman - Million Dollar Baby (-2)

#29: Billie Eilish - Birds of a Feather (-2)

#28: Justin Timberlake - No Angels (-2)

#27: Camila Cabello & Lil Nas X - He Knows (-2)

#26: Kane Brown & Marshmello - Miles on It (-5)

#25: David Guetta & OneRepublic - I Don't Wanna Wait (-1)

#24: Muni Long - Made for Me (Re-entry)

#23: Twenty One Pilots - Craving (+6)

#22: Eminem - Houdini (+8)

#21: Gracie Abrams - Risk (+1)

#20: Beyonce & Miley Cyrus - II Most Wanted (+3)

#19: Benson Boone - Beautiful Things (+1)

#18: Billie Eilish - Lunch (+1)

#17: Knox - Me Myself & Your Eyes (+1)

#16: Chappell Roan - Good Luck Babe! (+1)

Countdown Extra: Sabrina Carpenter - Please Please Please

#15: Shaboozey - A Bar Song (Tipsy) (+1)

#14: Madison Beer - Make You Mine (+1)

#13: Post Malone & Morgan Wallen - I Had Some Help (-1)

#12: Taylor Swift - I Can Do It With a Broken Heart (-1)

#11: Benson Boone - Slow It Down (-1)

#10: Ariana Grande - The Boy is Mine (-3)

#9: Olivia Rodrigo - So American (Re-entry) (how tho?)

#8: Teddy Swims - The Door (=)

#7: Dasha - Austin (+2)

#6: Taylor Swift & Post Malone - Fortnight (-1)

#5: Djo - End of Beginning (+1)

#4: Dua Lipa - Illusion (=)

#3: Olivia Rodrigo - Obsessed (=)

#2: Sabrina Carpenter - Espresso (=)

Last year's #1: Taylor Swift & Ice Spice - Karma

#1: Hozier - Too Sweet (=) (6 weeks at #1)


Debuts:

No debuts this week, but a couple re-entries. First up is Muni Long's Made for Me. I don't think I've ever actually done a review of this song since it debuted during my long hiatus, but it's actually a pretty good song. The only thing keeping it from being in the green tier is the chorus is a little boring.

The other re-entry, somehow all the way at #9, is Olivia Rodrigo's So American. This has grown on me a lot. I really like the production here and the lyrics are great. It's definitely not the best song from Guts (spilled) but it's still amazing.


Biggest Jump: Eminem - Houdini (+8)

Biggest Drop: Kane Brown & Marshmello - Miles on It (-5)

Recommendations for Hits 1: Billie Eilish - The Greatest, Taylor Swift - Smallest Man Who Ever Lived

Most missed song: Mitski - My Love Mine All Mine


Hitbouund:

Saweetie - Nani

Imagine Dragons - Nice to Meet You

Charli XCX - 360

Jelly Roll - I Am Not Okay (Debut)

Dua Lipa - These Walls

Wallows - Calling After Me

Lay Bankz - Tell Your Girlfriend

Raye - Genesis

Henry Moodie - Drunk Text

Isabel Larosa - Favorite (Debut)

Gracie Abrams - Close to You

Tyla, Skillibeng, Gunna - Jump

Myles Smith - Stargazing

Teddy Swims - Hammer to the Heart

Halsey - The End

Knox - Change Your Mind


Okayyyy... I can do two debuts. Jelly Roll is back again with I Am Not Okay. This is pretty good. It's got great production and great lyrics.

Isabel Larosa also has another song after that super forgettable Hitbound dropout two years ago I'm Yours. This one is a bit of a step up but nothing too special. It sounds alright but it's also kinda forgettable.


Dropouts:

Meghan Trainor - Whoops

Sabrina Carpenter - Please Please Please

They're both in the abyss so I really hope they debut.


Blurbra-cadurbra:

We lost We Can't Be Friends and Saturn. They were both getting kinda old so I'm fine with that.

Countdown action was low this week. A bunch of songs at the bottom of the countdown dropped by two spots, and every song from #19-11 only moved by one spot.

Uhmmmm, I was hoping Camila Cabello's second single would be the amazing Camila I knew, like Ariana with Yes, And and We Can't Be Friends, but I just think this new album and era as a whole will just be disappointing. I think she's trying WAY too hard to sound edgier, and it seems like most people agree that she's ripping off Characterless XCX now.

Nice to see one of few great songs on the countdown, Houdini, getting a decent jump.

Can Me Myself & Your Eyes please leave already?

Please Please Please being the countdown extra kinda implies to me that it's not gone yet.

Too Sweet is getting insanely annoying and we need a new #1 before I start hating it. I wouldn't mind having Espresso or Obsessed be the next #1, but I really want to see Austin hit #1 although that's kind of unlikely.


That's all for now! Byeeeeeeeeee!

4 comments:

  1. Please Please Please had a really weird thing happen to it this week. Hits1 was giving it spins all week, but randomly dropped it Wednesday or Thursday. Idk what they're doing with it tbh. Also TSMWEL is such a banger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random question, what is your opinion on 2 The Moon by Pitbull, Ne Yo, and Afrojack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than I expected, solid 4/5. I particularly liked the first verse and the chorus is pretty cool too but it is a bit repetitive. Its pretty good tho. As for a new EDM-type song that I think is great Id recommend Midnight Ride by Orville Peck and Kylie Minogue

      Delete
    2. I've actually listened to Midnight Ride by Orville Peck, Kylie Minogue, and Diplo, and I quite like it

      Delete

And the post that will go down in history today is... this one!

Not surprised this happened on the first countdown of summer - Hits 1 Weekend Countdown 6/22/24

Hi! We had an eventful countdown this week. Besides one of the exits and one of the debuts, this week was pretty good, mostly due to a new #...

You should not be viewing these posts so much. It's too much.