Tuesday, August 6, 2024

A mini Hits 1 catchup post - Weeks of 7/20-8/3

Hi! Well, I've been super busy over the past few weeks with travel and other stuff, but I'm finally returning. As a celebration of 3,000 pageviews, I have selected five albums to post full reviews of, and once again, I won't tell you what these albums are, but before that series is released, I want to get caught up on the Hits 1 countdown and Hitbound for the weeks that I missed. So, let's get into it.


Week of July 20

Countdown

Exits:

Taylor Swift & Post Malone - Fortnight

Olivia Rodrigo - So American

Djo - End of Beginning

These were all solid songs but lasted a long time, especially End of Beginning.


Debuts:

Katy Perry - Woman's World

The Kid Laroi - Girls

Myles Smith - Stargazing

I've reviewed these in the past, and none of them are super interesting songs.


You and I starblurbing:

Lunch made a massive drop for some weird reason.

Finally Miles on It made decent movement into the top 15. I hope this performs well.

Not too thrilled to see Belong Together climbing so quickly. Am I the only person who noticed that the verses sound very similar to A Bar Song (Tipsy)?

Please Please Please finally entered the top 10, which was great to see.

Wow, Houdini somehow made a big jump even after the large drop last week. One of many songs on the countdown that just can't decide where to go.

Somehow Espresso held the #1 spot even after significantly dropping in airplay.


Hitbound

Debuts:

Joe Jonas - Work It Out

Gracie Abrams - I Love You I'm Sorry

Benson Boone - Death Wish Love

Charli XCX - Apple

Paul Russell & Meghan Trainor - Slippin

Hayes Warner - Predator

Alessia Cara - Dead Man


Wow, a lot of debuts. It was actually a shockingly good Hitbound. First of all, I wasn't too thrilled to see that Joe Jonas had a song on here, but it's actually pretty good. Work It Out has solid (but forgettable) production, and the lyrics are pretty good.

W O W HITS 1 ACTUALLY PICKED UP ON ONE OF THE SONGS I KEEP RECOMMENDING. It's about time that happened. Anyway, I Love You I'm Sorry is now the next single from The Secret of Us, and I'm so glad it is. If you want a full review, you can see it on my TSOU album review from a few weeks ago.

Benson Boone is here again with Death Wish Love, from Twisters: The Album. This is alright. He sounds good and it's got good production, but the lyrics aren't too interesting.

What's this, a decent Charli XCX song? The production on Apple admittedly sounds alright, and I actually quite like the lyrics with the apple metaphors. The main thing holding it back is the chorus, which is super repetitive, and it sounds like she's still saying "apple", which would make much more sense, but she's actually saying "airport"(?) Okayyy this is fine I guess.

Paul Russell & Meghan Trainor collaborate on Slippin', and this is great. This has really cool production that reminds me of the better songs from Timeless, and the lyrics are well-written and relatable. Great song.

Unlike most people, I actually really like a majority of those lesser known artists who Hits 1 "refuses to give up on", like Presley Regier, Havana Winter, etc. Hayes Warner is another one of those people, and her new song Predator is great. The production is super cool, and the key really goes with it well. The lyrics are on-point and she sounds fantastic. Another great song.

Alessia Cara is back with Dead Man. I like the lyrics and she sounds great here, but it just seems a slight bit overproduced.


Dropouts:

Alex Warren - Carry You Home

Gracie Abrams & Taylor Swift - Us

Henry Moodie - Bad Emotions

Bibi & Jackson Wang - Feeling Lucky

Imagine Dragons - Nice to Meet You

Carry You Home grew on me, and fortunately it eventually debuted the countdown. Us and Bad Emotions deserved better. Feeling Lucky was solid but I didn't see it doing anything. And good riddance to Nice to Meet You, it was getting very annoying.


Week of July 27

Countdown

Exits:

Meghan Trainor - Whoops

Whoops was great so I'm glad it ultimately wasn't gone forever.


Debuts:

Alex Warren - Carry You Home

Grew on me a lot, like I said earlier.


I will blurb you home:

Not much action at all this week, and Espresso held #1 yet again somehow. Alright, already moving on.


Hitbound

Debuts:

MGK & Jelly Roll - Lonely Road

Halsey - Lucky

Role Model - Scumbag

Post Malone & Luke Combs - Guy for That

Lucky is another new fantastic Halsey song and I'm excited for her upcoming album, Lonely Road is the perfect country singer/emo rocker collab I've always needed, and the latter two are very forgettable.


Dropouts:

Eminem & Jelly Roll - Somebody Save Me

Katseye - Debut

Isabel Larosa - Favorite

Lawrence - Whatcha Want

Other than Somebody Save Me, these won't be missed. But I do think Favorite is in the abyss now.


Week of August 3

Countdown

Exits:

Katy Perry - Woman's World

The Kid Laroi - Girls

David Guetta & OneRepublic - I Don't Wanna Wait

I'm shocked but not disappointed at the underperformance of the first two, and it's about time IDWW is out of here. So overall the exits were a W this week.


Debuts:

Hayes Warner - Predator

Halsey - Lucky

Meghan Trainor - Whoops

All of these are great and have been previously reviewed.


Whoops, you blurbed up:

Looks like Risk is on its way out. I'm alright with that.

I'm not alright with Million Dollar Baby in the top 20 however.

Can Miles on It keep going up please?

Well, Too Sweet and Espresso FINALLY took their inevitable hard falls off the top two spots, and Please Please Please is FINALLY up to #2 and looks pretty likely to be the next number 1. But for now, our #1 song is *laughs* A Bar Song (Tipsy). Okay, I'll admit, this song is growing on me a lot, but Please Please Please is way more deserving of the top spot.


Hitbound

Debuts:

Charli XCX & Billie Eilish - Guess

Maren Morris - Push Me Over

Madison Beer - 15 Minutes

Megan Thee Stallion & Yuki Chiba - Mamushi

Jessie Murph & Teddy Swims - Dirty

Guess is literally a song about underwear and legit shouldn't even exist, Push Me Over and 15 Minutes are solid songs but are somewhat forgettable, Dirty is really good and reminds me of some of the better Cowboy Carter songs, and Mamushi is predictably really annoying and possibly worse than Guess, the chorus is tasteless & boring, and Yuki Chiba's flow sounds disinterested & off-beat.


Dropouts:

Alessia Cara - Dead Man

Flowerovlove - Boys

Post Malone & Luke Combs - Guy For That

These were alright but not super memorable and I didn't expect them to become hits.


Well, that's all for now! Byeeeeeeeeee!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only one that likes Lonely Road

    ReplyDelete

And the post that may or may not be remembered forever but matters the most now is.. this one!

{3,000 Views Special Pt.5} This album literally defined the summer of 2024... is it actually as terrible as I initially thought?

Hi! Thanks again for thousands of views even though I'm thousands of years late on these posts . So, I told you the albums I chose for t...

You should not be viewing these posts so much. It's too much..